North Side Tornado Clean-Up: Volunteers Needed

Share   |  Posted May. 24, 2011 by Bill Dossett

The City of Lakes Nordic Ski Foundation, Nice Ride Minnesota, and Surly Brewing are organizing clean-up crews for this Thursday, May 26. We will have two shifts: 8:45am-1pm and 12:45pm to 5pm.

All volunteers must check-in at Urban Homeworks, 1823 Emerson Ave. North and get a wristband. Parking is very limited in the storm damage area, so we will meet at the Wirth Park Chalet and carpool. Please meet at Wirth Chalet parking lot at 8:30am (for the first shift) or 12:30pm (for the second shift). (If you are running late, go directly to Urban Homeworks.) Please wear boots and gloves and bring chain saws, safety glasses, hand saws, leaf rakes, shovels, wheel barrows, and a water bottle. If you have a pick-up truck we can use to move tools and haul debris, please bring it. We'll all get together at 5:30pm at the Wirth Chalet to say thanks to the volunteers and enjoy some refreshments.

If you can join us, please respond to volunteer@niceridemn.org and let us know if you have tools and/or special skills.

(1) On May 24, 2011, Molly Cook () said:
I will be requesting a paid volunteer day from my employer, U.S. Bank. I will also find out if there are others on my team that can join me.
(2) On May 25, 2011, Ben () said:
Hi,

Is the Wirth parking lot very far from Urban Homeworks? I will be coming on bike. Or if I'm on bike, will I be able to make it directly to the site from Urban Homeworks?

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Ben

p.s. I wouldn't be able to bring much for supplies, but I'm assuming there might be extra available for me to use, right?
(3) On May 25, 2011, Sarah Abbott () said:
I'm able to bring a shovel and rake. See you at 8:30...
(4) On May 25, 2011, Steve () said:
To all who come and help let me say THANK YOU!!! ahead of time.
(5) On May 25, 2011, Jim Dahl () said:
Thank you for organizing this. I've been wanting to help but wasn't sure how. I'll be there tomorrow afternoon with my chainsaw.
(6) On May 25, 2011, Tom Carlson () said:
forgot to say I'll be there in the afternoon

Who can use Nice Ride?

Nice ride is open to anyone over the age of 16. Users under 18 years of age must have their legal guardians purchase a subscription. Online subscription is currently available to those 18 and older. Subscriptions are available to those ages 16 and 17 by calling our office at 1-877-551-6423.